Monday, May 29, 2006

Does racial harmony exist in Singapore?

Our pledge reads, "regardless of race, language or religion", how true is that really? Disregarding the rest of the pledge(especially the 'building a democratic society' part), are Singaporeans really equal?

Its common to hear different races being referred to in degratory terms such as 'noisy malays/mats/minas', 'stinky indians/bangalas', 'filthy chinese pigs' etc. Don't believe me? Just take a taxi and watch what the driver tells you when you pass by places like Gelyang Surei, Chinatown or Little Indian. (provided that both you and the driver are of the same race and not of the race in the particular place.) Why?? I really don't get it. Aren't all races ultimately still human?

A lady I talked to told me that she disliked malays cos they always make alot of noise at her void decks, playing guiters, or feeding stray cats. I call that the kampung sprirt(yours truly was raised in a kampung for 10 yrs of my life btw :P) Another told me she dislike all forgein workers, especially those that are 'black' cos they always look at her in a perverted way(come on, even I am guilty of that at one time or the other if the gal is really hot!) and she was flashed by one of them before in broad daylight.(ok, that I don't do, but I wonder if she had been flashed by a chinese, would she had been so adverse to the chinese, being one herself?) A malay lady friend told me she dislike the chinese gals in her class because she feels that they look down on her.(thats called elitism, I experienced it too back in school, I don't think it was about the race.)

Coincidently, I realised that most if not all complains I heard came from ladies. I'm not sure if its because woman pay more attention to details(or petty) as compared to guys. You only need to cross a gal once and you will pay for it your whole life, I'm sure many guys can attest to that. :)

Damn, I wanted to write more but I really must resume mugging for my marketing paper on wed. Next entry after wed. Wish me luck :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home