Sunday, May 28, 2006

Doing NS might harm the ears and hands of a violinist

I saw this ST online forum letter titled "Doing NS might harm the ears and hands of a violinist" yesterday. I can't help but add this.

"Serving NS might harm the brain of intelligent people"

I kid you not.

Before entering the army, my IQ was rated at 198(really lah... or at least somewhere there, dun doubt :P), but after entering the army, it started dropping rapidly as I discovered to my horror, that you are not allowed to think! I can still hear my platoon sergeant screaming at me "Orders are meant to be followed, not to be questioned understand! you @!#$% recruit! Go run one round around the parade square!" Same thing happened throughout my whole army life, the advice from seniors was that when you questioned your superiors, it made them look bad even if you are right so you will be 'aimed'. Just do as they say, even if it is wrong, just wait for them to tell you how to correct it.

The motto then was "多做多错,少做少错,不做就不会错".

Roughly translated, it means "the more you do, the more errors there will be, the less you do, the less errors. If you do nothing, you will have no errors." I hate it, but I can't help agreeing that it really does work in the army. I just hope working life will not be like that. I would hate it if I have to muddle my way through life. I hoped NS haven't harmed my brain. At least not that much.

4 Comments:

At Monday, May 29, 2006 3:13:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even they dun harm ur brain, they made u kinda lose interest in carrying on studies (after all 2 yrs away, back then was around 2.5 to 3 yrs rite? *blur)

and guys graduated later, move to corporate world ater, thus not earning enuff money to woo girls, therefore they also harm the total fertility rate...

oh yes, did i forget to manage, guys in NS are prone to so much injuries that can affect physcial and mental?

gosh.. and there's reservists too... the constant torture!

ok i'm a girl, but i stil think there can be improvement to this NS thing ;)

 
At Monday, May 29, 2006 7:08:00 pm, Blogger Nutcracker said...

It was 2.5 years back then in my days.. and speaking of reservist, I'm due for mine in the next couple of mths or so!! sigh...

and the part on graduating later and starting in career later is a major grouse that all guys face. Maybe its just in my circle, but from what I see, it is kinda difficult for a guy to go after a gal of the same age as the gal has already moved ahead in society both in status and mindset while the guys haven't. So they tend to end up with younger gals. Not that there is anything wrong with that of cos, its just a general observation of mine.

But in honesty, NS is really great for character building, it makes you both alot tougher physically and mentally cos of all the shit you have to go thru :)

 
At Wednesday, May 31, 2006 3:50:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man. IQ of 198? Who are you kidding? Better get your figures right.

Frequency distribution of IQ scores show that those with a score of above 145 at amongst 0.1% of the global population.

The global average (taking into account cultural differences and what not) is 100 in 1997. Even given the trend that percentage points increase by roughly 10 every decade, that will bring it up to 110.

You guys are not the only ones who've done NS. Stop whining. I don't think the army taught you to do that ya?

The point is, move on, or just continue bitching for the rest of your lives.

 
At Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:37:00 pm, Blogger Nutcracker said...

some people just dun get the idea of a joke. *shrug*

heard of tongue in cheek? Idiot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home